Webtroopers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Belated Happy New Year!
Are The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over? EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 1:57 pm by Wyz

» Happy Thanksgiving . . .
Are The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over? EmptySat Nov 24, 2018 12:02 am by Wyz

» Newest Kindle Fire Tablets Are Android-Based .. . . . .
Are The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 6:40 pm by Wyz

» I'm Looking To Buy A New PC
Are The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over? EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 1:25 am by Wyz

» Resonant Chamber
Are The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over? EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 6:51 pm by Wyz

» Another Year and We're Still Here
Are The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2016 3:27 am by Wyz

» Amazon Tap
Are The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over? EmptyMon Jul 11, 2016 4:29 pm by Wyz

» URL Typos Can Put Your PC or Mac At Risk For Malware
Are The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 1:20 am by Wyz

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Top posters
Mojo (105)
Are The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over? I_vote_lcapAre The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over? I_voting_barAre The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over? I_vote_rcap 
Wyz (81)
Are The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over? I_vote_lcapAre The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over? I_voting_barAre The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over? I_vote_rcap 
nquale (8)
BluFyre (7)
Moo (1)

Paltalk Room

Clock
Radio---Click Square To Open In New Window
radio app
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Webtroopers Forum on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Are The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over?

Go down

Are The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over? Empty Are The Days Of Paying For An Operating System Over?

Post by Mojo Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:36 pm

At the big Apple show the other day, Apple Computers showed off their new toys like the new Ipad Mini and various Apple goodies.  However the biggest announcement made was that their OSX update Mavericks would be available free to any Apple user using OSX Snow Leopard and above.  This follows on the heels of Microsoft's offering of the Windows 8.1 update free to owners of Windows 8.  

While free operating systems have been around for a long time, this marks a significant change for the big 2.  The question now remains is will that trend continue or is this just a short term thing.  I think it could be a viable option for Apple but I'm hard pressed to see Microsoft do that.

The basic difference is Apple is a hardware manufacturer and Microsoft isn't.  Apple can absorb the costs of OSX by raising the price of Macs whereas Microsoft's bread and butter is software.  Now theoretically, Microsoft could make Windows updates available for free to personal consumers and make up for it in charging more for corporate licensing but that would require me to take a leap of faith that I'm not ready to make yet. 

I feel the only reason 8.1 is a free update is because it fixes the changes that Microsoft force fed to consumers in Windows 8.  I can't tell you the number of pcs I have downgraded to Win 7 because people hated the Win 8 interface and it's lack of a START button.  People like simplicity and while change is inevitable, it should never come at the expense of simplicity.  The K.I.S.S. method of Keep It Simple Stupid plays into this.  They had a serious problem with Windows 8 users being really pissed and used the free upgrade to get on their good side and restore confidence.  I expect this to be a one time thing.

Of course some people think this is the future with Apple and Microsoft reimaging themselves as Application distributors like Google is with their Android Market and I guess that is true in a sense.  That's why I can see Apple testing the waters to see if they can do this viably.  I just don't see Microsoft in the same boat because even though they are trying to reposition themselves likewise, at the end of the day they make their money SELLING software to people not giving it away.

Time will tell what happens and, if nothing, it should remain interesting......
Mojo
Mojo
Head Trooper
Head Trooper

https://webtroopers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum