Webtroopers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Belated Happy New Year!
Steam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer? EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 1:57 pm by Wyz

» Happy Thanksgiving . . .
Steam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer? EmptySat Nov 24, 2018 12:02 am by Wyz

» Newest Kindle Fire Tablets Are Android-Based .. . . . .
Steam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 6:40 pm by Wyz

» I'm Looking To Buy A New PC
Steam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer? EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 1:25 am by Wyz

» Resonant Chamber
Steam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer? EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 6:51 pm by Wyz

» Another Year and We're Still Here
Steam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2016 3:27 am by Wyz

» Amazon Tap
Steam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer? EmptyMon Jul 11, 2016 4:29 pm by Wyz

» URL Typos Can Put Your PC or Mac At Risk For Malware
Steam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 1:20 am by Wyz

March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Top posters
Mojo (105)
Steam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer? I_vote_lcapSteam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer? I_voting_barSteam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer? I_vote_rcap 
Wyz (81)
Steam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer? I_vote_lcapSteam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer? I_voting_barSteam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer? I_vote_rcap 
nquale (8)
BluFyre (7)
Moo (1)

Paltalk Room

Clock
Radio---Click Square To Open In New Window
radio app
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Webtroopers Forum on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Steam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer?

2 posters

Go down

Steam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer? Empty Steam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer?

Post by Mojo Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:29 pm

Valve Released the first beta today of it's Steam operating system.  The modified Linux distribution emphasizes "bridging the divide between PC gaming and the more relaxed style of console gaming, and to try and bring back the ‘PC games’ (i.e. non-console) audience, which has gradually eroded over the last decade."

In a nutshell, they want PC gaming to have 1 standard for playing and distributing games to PCs regardless of any make or model without the various system requirements and other stuff that makes playing PC games a pain to many and to entice the game makers to embrace the PC platform again as a viable market.

Now how they implement that remains to be seen but I would imagine that streaming  will eventually be a big part of that.  With streaming you can bypass a lot of compatibility issues and make for a more level playing field for all.

But are we there yet?  Streaming has evolved leaps and bounds over the last few years but do we have the bandwidth that would be required for such demand?  Not yet but we're getting real close.  Sprint has already demonstrated their Spark network delivering a 1gb per second down speed and promise when implemented, users can expect a 50-60 MB per second speed minimum.  A network with that kind of speed should be more than sufficient to enable stream gaming.  If Valve can deliver on their end and Sprint and the other networks deliver on their end, things will get interesting.

Now how does that affect Microsoft and Sony, and to a lesser extent Nintendo?  Valve doesn't seem to be stopping at unified PC gaming for  PCs only.  They're also designing consoles to take advantage of the Steam OS also.  They're also promising integration of sites like Netflix, Hulu, and You Tube eventually.  So now you have a console that pretty does what Xbox 1 and the PS4 does retailing for a fraction of what they charge for their consoles and all of a sudden you have a real problem for the Big 2 1/2 (Sorry Nintendo you're just not a factor at this time...yet).

Now Microsoft probably sees the writing on the wall which explains their mad dash to sign up cable networks to exclusive content deals.  Sony, on the other hand, seems to just be trying to copy Microsoft and sort of oblivious to everything.

This leaves Nintendo.  Although the sales of their last system have been pretty abysmal, they could be the company that actually provides Valve some headaches.  First of all their hardware is relatively cheap when compared to the Big 2 and pretty close to the price point of some of the Steam boxes announced.  Second, they have their network online already and running, something that is probably still at least a year or more away for Valve.   If Nintendo can keep prices down and content up, they could be a serious concern to Valve.

But before we jump to that point, let's see what Valve does first.  They still have a bunch of hurdles to pass before they can consider themselves legitimate players in the field.  They're going to need a little luck to fall their way too but if they can get their ducks in a row, they might revolutionize the entire industry.  Imagine having that console that was able to play ALL of our favorite games and not miss out on exclusive games from other systems.  

Whether it gets to that point or not is something for the future but, at the same time, it should be fun to watch it develop.
Mojo
Mojo
Head Trooper
Head Trooper

https://webtroopers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Steam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer? Empty Re: Steam OS - The XBOX1/PS4 Killer?

Post by Wyz Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:52 pm

Thanks for your Review, Mojo, much appreciate it. I'm intrigued by the concept , and I don't own/play any of the other consoles. .strictly PC!

Have you played Portal 1 and.or 2 ?  I want to play the first but have to find time to do it.  I don't have either , and I don't have a Steam acct yet. 

I bought /played  TorchLight, which I found on HP's Gamesite Wild Tangent; Amazon had a hard copy and it was really kewl with the Boss Fights. Unfortunately, I didn't finish the game.  It's a amazing how RL can interrupt Gamer's time, eh?

I hope they leave in the option to play SP, I don't have a whole block full of friends that wanna play the games I like.  I'm not too keen on MMOs either. 

Lone Wolf, that's me.  Cool 
Wyz
Wyz
Head Trooper
Head Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mojo Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:17 pm

Since November my one and only game I'm really playing is Batman Origins. While not as good as Arkham City nor as deep, it's really a pretty cool game. I still miss Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill as the voices of Batman and Joker but the voice acting is still well done.
Mojo
Mojo
Head Trooper
Head Trooper

https://webtroopers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum