Webtroopers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Belated Happy New Year!
Will Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple? EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 1:57 pm by Wyz

» Happy Thanksgiving . . .
Will Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple? EmptySat Nov 24, 2018 12:02 am by Wyz

» Newest Kindle Fire Tablets Are Android-Based .. . . . .
Will Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple? EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 6:40 pm by Wyz

» I'm Looking To Buy A New PC
Will Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple? EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 1:25 am by Wyz

» Resonant Chamber
Will Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple? EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 6:51 pm by Wyz

» Another Year and We're Still Here
Will Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple? EmptyThu Dec 08, 2016 3:27 am by Wyz

» Amazon Tap
Will Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple? EmptyMon Jul 11, 2016 4:29 pm by Wyz

» URL Typos Can Put Your PC or Mac At Risk For Malware
Will Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple? EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 1:20 am by Wyz

May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Top posters
Mojo (105)
Will Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple? I_vote_lcapWill Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple? I_voting_barWill Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple? I_vote_rcap 
Wyz (81)
Will Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple? I_vote_lcapWill Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple? I_voting_barWill Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple? I_vote_rcap 
nquale (8)
BluFyre (7)
Moo (1)

Paltalk Room

Clock
Radio---Click Square To Open In New Window
radio app
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Webtroopers Forum on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Will Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple?

Go down

Will Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple? Empty Will Linux Ever Challenge Windows or Apple?

Post by Mojo Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:25 pm

This is kind of a loaded question in that in the business world, Linux has far surpassed Windows and Apple.  Linux is all around us.  Your bank uses it to protect your accounts.  Your hospital uses it.  The traffic lights use Linux to regulate traffic flow. Your home DVR and movie streaming device use Linux.  Wall Street uses Linux as does The Pentagon. Linux is probably used in far more places than you realize.  It really is everywhere.

But the question remains, on the home PC will Linux ever achieve the user base of Windows, Apple, or any of the upstarts like IOS, Android, or Chrome OS?  My short answer is probably not.  Linux has been around for a long time and although it's evolved greatly, it's still never caught on and is still looked on as a homebrew OS designed by and for pocket protector wearing, Mountain Dew Code Red drinking, male uber nerds.

Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Linux and the open source movement and have, myself used many flavors of Linux over the years.  However, the casual user has probably never seen a Linux desktop and a bunch probably doesn't even know what Linux is. 

The main problem with Linux is the number of distributions or "flavors" of Linux.  According to DistroWatch, a website that tracks every version of Linux out there, there are well over a couple of hundred different distributions of Linux.  A lot of them share features but a lot don't which makes trying Linux out for a newcomer quite a daunting feat not to mention really makes it hard for one Distro to stand out above the rest.  All the different flavors tend to dilute the entire OS.  In order for Linux to thrive in the private sector there has to be a unified distribution of the OS that gives people the features they want in an easy to navigate system.  Something that I think will never happen now and that may not be a bad thing.

The beauty of Linux is it's versatility.  You can find Linux Distros that will work on just about every computer you can think of.  Got an old PC collecting dust?  Turn it into a web server or media streamer or throw a smaller Distro on it like Puppy Linux and have a fully internet capable web browsing and emailing machine.  With Linux the possibilities are endless and that is why the various flavors are good for Linux.

So while Linux may never be the heir to Windows or any other OS, there will always be a need for an OS like Linux. If the mainstream computer user wants to miss out on that, so be it.  It's really their loss.
Mojo
Mojo
Head Trooper
Head Trooper

https://webtroopers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down