Webtroopers Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Belated Happy New Year!
DIR-615 Disconnections EmptySun Jun 02, 2019 1:57 pm by Wyz

» Happy Thanksgiving . . .
DIR-615 Disconnections EmptySat Nov 24, 2018 12:02 am by Wyz

» Newest Kindle Fire Tablets Are Android-Based .. . . . .
DIR-615 Disconnections EmptyThu Mar 29, 2018 6:40 pm by Wyz

» I'm Looking To Buy A New PC
DIR-615 Disconnections EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 1:25 am by Wyz

» Resonant Chamber
DIR-615 Disconnections EmptySat Feb 25, 2017 6:51 pm by Wyz

» Another Year and We're Still Here
DIR-615 Disconnections EmptyThu Dec 08, 2016 3:27 am by Wyz

» Amazon Tap
DIR-615 Disconnections EmptyMon Jul 11, 2016 4:29 pm by Wyz

» URL Typos Can Put Your PC or Mac At Risk For Malware
DIR-615 Disconnections EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 1:20 am by Wyz

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Top posters
Mojo (105)
DIR-615 Disconnections I_vote_lcapDIR-615 Disconnections I_voting_barDIR-615 Disconnections I_vote_rcap 
Wyz (81)
DIR-615 Disconnections I_vote_lcapDIR-615 Disconnections I_voting_barDIR-615 Disconnections I_vote_rcap 
nquale (8)
BluFyre (7)
Moo (1)

Paltalk Room

Clock
Radio---Click Square To Open In New Window
radio app
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Webtroopers Forum on your social bookmarking website

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

DIR-615 Disconnections

2 posters

Go down

DIR-615 Disconnections Empty DIR-615 Disconnections

Post by Wyz Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:57 am

I'm currently on my second one and it appears that it's not a good one.  I did do the research via Dudette ( Games4TV), but as she herself told me , much later, it might be my D-Link  DIR-615 that is causing me disconnection problems. 

I was streaming a game and a game's system told me their lowest was 1.5mbps (sp?) and I was lower than  their lowest so they dropped me.  I'm confused.  I can stream music but not games?

My Router used to sit under the CRT TV on a shelf but D told me it would be better above  ;  when Msntv2 ( used the TV only as a Monitor) was cancelled I moved the D-Link 300 N up to the top of the TV where it's double antenna are unobstructed from interference.

I currently reside in an apt complex and nearly everyone has the same BB cable co.  It isn't AT & T U-verse. . it's Cox Cable.  I understand that can be one of the causes.  I have only one wired device and that's the Vista. 

How do I go about fixing the problem without breaking it like I did with the Linksys ( tried to change the DNS after ISP was hijacked(?) but didn't understand the instructions and bricked the router)?

The Wireless devices won't stay connected even while in front of the DIR-615 ; I have 2 Kindle Fires ( 1st & 2nd Gen), Win7 laptop and a Victor Reader Stream 2nd gen ( for legally blind relative).  The Victor Reader Stream 2nd gen can't seem to pick up our WiFi but sees everybody with 2 blocks.

TIA

Wyz
Wyz
Wyz
Head Trooper
Head Trooper

Back to top Go down

DIR-615 Disconnections Empty Re: DIR-615 Disconnections

Post by Mojo Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:19 pm

First you need to figure a few things out.  You need to get some measurement as to how fast your internet speed is by running a few line tests.  Disconnect everything from your router except your pc and make sure you have nothing running in the background that will affect the test.

Next, go to the Ookla Speed Test and do 3 or 4 speed tests.  Write down the total download and upload speeds as based on the server nearest to you.  Add up the download speeds and divide it by the number of tests you did to come up with the AVERAGE DOWNLOAD Speed.  Do the same with the upload speed.

Next you want to run another speed test with a different provider.  Go to the      SpeakEasy Speed Test and run 3 or 4 tests there too again adding the results and dividing by the number of tests to get the average upload and download speeds.

Once you have that, you have a pretty good indication of where you sit as to your cable speed through the router.  If you have a separate cable modem, try connecting directly to the cable modem, by-passing the router, and retesting the speeds at both sites.  If the speeds are significantly improved then the problem lies in the router. It might not be bad news, you may just have to get them to play nicely together.

Anyways try that and get back to me and we'll go from there.

Cheers,

B

Last edited by Mojo on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mojo
Mojo
Head Trooper
Head Trooper

https://webtroopers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mojo Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:44 pm

The router should always sit in a well ventilated area. Placing it on an interior shelve not only blocks the antenna but it also doesn't give the heat from the router anywhere to go
Mojo
Mojo
Head Trooper
Head Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Wyz Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:04 pm

Yep, about the interior shelf, but we live in an apt complex and one isn't allowed to make holes in da wall; as it was I had to tape off the area from my cat ( when he got angry he'd go and scoot next to it giving me great anxiety). 

Right now it sits atop the unused TV set, and thankfully he's too old to jump/climb that far.

Since it has two antenna. . that move, do you think that might help it some? 

I did three test yesterday  ( 3pm)a few minutes apart but thought I'd do a series at twilight when I'm usually up playing Torchlight on my Vista.

TIA
Wyz
Wyz
Head Trooper
Head Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mojo Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:36 pm

Wyz wrote:

Since it has two antenna. . that move, do you think that might help it some? 

TIA
Yeah having an unobstructed line of sight is never a bad thing as wifi is just radio signals at a different frequency rate and being in a open area should only help it.
Mojo
Mojo
Head Trooper
Head Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Wyz Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:58 pm

Ha!  We just put in a call to our BB provider Cox Cable, they've recently update/graded their lines, about the Modem we bought from them and asked whether they upgraded their Modems too? 

We bought a Modem from them in 2006 a Scientific Atlanta  costs us $75 dollars; the newer Modem is $129 dollars with no support. . so we're gonna rent this time for $6 dollars a month. .not bad in my book.  They replace it free if it doesn't work. .  It'll be here this week.

I'll let you know how it works out.

The downloads were all over the place ranging from 28.73 to 16.90 mbps  ( 2 sets of 3 [ 3pm & 1 am] and the uploads stayed consistent 5.56 mbps

Wyz
Wyz
Head Trooper
Head Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mojo Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Yeah It sounds like maybe the modem might be the problem.  It's not strange for there to be differences but that big of a difference is not typical.  Does the new modem feature a built in router?  

If it does and supports wireless you may just try hooking directly to that and use the router as a door stop lol! 

Hope everything works out.  With those speeds you should have no problem playing any online game out there.  I'm sitting here  with my 3MiPS insanely jealous of your speeds.  Let me know how it goes.
Mojo
Mojo
Head Trooper
Head Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Wyz Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:22 pm

It appears to be a Modem-Router combo; we got  it yesterday and I opened the box to read the instructions this morning.

I promised family that I would unzip their stuff and put in on their devices before "playing" with the new Modem/Router.

Cox Cable provided  the necessary cables; we've decided that if we can get the Modem/Router combo at Fry's or on Amazon, we'd do that if we like it well enough, thereby avoiding paying the extra $5-7 dollars a month.  

I know "chump" change to some but to us it can be used for something else important . . .  for instance, a tub of Ice Cream!Very Happy

However ,I do have a wee question. . on my D-Link I have  the security set to WPA2 , and on the BB Modem/Router the SSID and WPA Key/Pass Phrase are located on the bottom of the Modem, would that combo accept a WPA2 security key?

TIA

Wyz
Wyz
Head Trooper
Head Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mojo Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:05 pm

Yeah you should be able to change it via the local address ( usually 192.168.1.1 but check your manual just in case it's different) and it'll probably give you   options for WEP and WPA.  Avoid WEP because they're easy to crack.  I always change mine to something I can remember easily and then write it down and tape it to the bottom of the modem.

As far as saving money goes I'm with you on that.  Being semi-retired means having to stretch your budget so I know full well what an extra 7 bucks a month means to me.
Mojo
Mojo
Head Trooper
Head Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Wyz Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:21 pm

I am finally online with the new Modem/Router, and all 5 of the wireless devices are connected for the first time!  woohooio

Sorry, it took so long getting back here, I've been sick with a nasty that I caught at the Drs office.  Putting one's head down meant passing out in odd places. . even though the back of a TV cabinet ( I had to seal off the front because of my cat) is an odd place . . that wasn't the place where I wanted to pass out. 
Laughing
Wyz
Wyz
Head Trooper
Head Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Mojo Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:51 pm

Wow, hope you're feeling better.

I assume you were able to connect the new device directly with out the router? If so, that's great. If not and everything works well, who cares?...LOL
Mojo
Mojo
Head Trooper
Head Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum